www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggested Corrections to factual data in Vol 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowries - Volume 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 21.01.2018, 01:03    Post subject: Suggested Corrections to factual data in Vol 1 Reply with quote

G'day Felix,

Firstly great job on the new book. Massive effort I can see.
I think the Notocypraea section overall is very good. I think you have certainly made it easier & less confusing for the collectors. Some dealers might not be so happy with your correcting some of the plethora of imaginative names being used.

I have the first couple of suggestive corrections to factual data in the book (not so much errors).

1. Austrocypraea reevei pg373
The southern range listed as Port Lincoln.
The species is regularly found on the lower Yorke & Fleurieu Peninsula's (south of Adelaide) eg. Normanville, Yankalilla Bay & Second Valley (I night dived a small cylindrical specimen @9.4m on sponge in 2009). As mentioned in correspondence the fartherest South East I have collected this species is circa 6Km SE of Cape Jervis in Backstairs Passage (four living specimens between 2008-2012). Peter Clarkson found a number more than that and reported to me finding the occasional specimen off Victor Harbour a few Km further East. He suggested the Murray River mouth and lack of suitable habitat along the Coorong (sand beaches) as being the barrier for this species occurring further East.

2. Notocypraea declivis dennyorum pg417
Occurence: Shallow water to 10m.
As mentioned in correspondance I have regularly observed and collected this species in the 30m range (max depth 35m). In some area's I rarely see it shallower than 8m with 15-18m being the "ideal depth zone". I agree in many oceanic area's of SE Tasmania it is more frequently observed from 2-8m and often in association with crinoids!

3. Notocypraea piperita pg419
Size Range: 13-20-25-32
I did mention that I have quite a number of 30+mm specimens with my largest ever specimen 33.55mm (Westernport Bay, Victoria). This is an extraordinary specimen, a giant flawless (great colour & shape) beauty. Has been viewed & verified by a small number of fellow collectors. This species is uncommon above 27mm and rare above 30mm!

That's it for the moment.
I hope this post was useful and constructive.

Regards,
Simon
Melbourne, Australia
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 25.01.2018, 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks Simon, this is great information!! Much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowries - Volume 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: