www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Umbilia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 13.01.2013, 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Sergey,

Thanks for posting your great pics!

Re..."and about armeniacas...
yes, there are many variations and most of them you can find in GAB.
For me, several unique variations (forms) are exist (exept usual armeniaca from GAB)
-brunnea
-dark shallow water from Esperance
-light colored deep water form from Perth-Albany

All of them are super rare...especially the second one. I remeber the article about armenicas...in it there were more variations.."

I for one cannot wait for the Umbilia section of Felix's new Cowrie book!
I hope everyone just remembers that these are just FORMS! The amount of variation I have seen from diving for Umbilia hesitata in Southern Tasmania (two different colonies... probably joined somewhere) is simply amazing!
Colour, size & shape variation... some I encounter often, others much less so and some are "One Offs"!
Obviously this is the same with armenica.

Re... "dark shallow water from Esperance"
There must be similar colonies somewhere else along that vast coastline. Problem is most divers there just hunt Zoila and the one diver that was likely to discover new coloines is sadly no longer with us!
The same goes for the brunnea form. If expeditions with ROV's were undertaken I know for a fact that these would be seen again...

Please post more pics of the variations in your specimens. Always lovely to see!

Thanks,
Simon
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 14.01.2013, 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, there are four (4 !) geographical subspecies in armeniaca, none of which had never been properly named or characterized, despite the fact that they are very very consistent. It requires careful morphometric analysis. There will be an extensive article and descriptions of them, by Lorenz & Beals, in the upcoming issue of the Conchylia magazine. Marty, Randy and me worked nearly one year on the completion of this article. Some of you on this forum helped with data of their shells, and so we managed to trace an incredible amount of measurements for the morphometric analysis, which involves a newly developed formula (Bridges & Lorenz) that will be presented in the same issue of the magazine. With the help of this revised cowry-formula, you can characterize many "cryptic" species and subspecies. The best thing about it is that already after measuring 5 specimens you arrive at a fairly good formula for a group that changes only slightly with additional shells added to the set. It could revolutionize the study of cowries. It is true that armeniaca, like hesitata, is extremely variable in many aspects, BUT there are conchological parameters that never change notably, regardless of size and color. These are of diagnostic value, and in armeniaca you simply need to weight, measure and toothcount a shell to determine which of the four subspecies it is (works in >90% of the shells, which is good enough to call them subspecies). I tell you, it is exciting stuff, folks!

http://www.club-conchylia.de/ccinfo/index.html
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 14.01.2013, 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is excellent news!
Thanks for posting the update.
I really look forward to reading this upcoming article.
I couldn't see details (from the link) of when this issue will be available. Please give us a "Heads Up".

Of course I have never dived for armeniaca only hesitata.
It would be great if a similar article was written for hesitata.

Best Regards,
Simon
XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 15.01.2013, 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Simon!
Will post some new later.
Yes, I hope that new colonies will be opened somewhere and prices will goo down Sehr glücklich
Felix, I also very wait for your article! will it available for free in this magazine?
Sergey
ozcyp

PostPosted: 17.01.2013, 01:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb series of armeniaca you have XEP... The rostrated form is very interesting indeed.
XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 14.03.2013, 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umbilia hesitata, Portland form, 86mm. Trawled

Umbilia hesitata, Portland form, 72.5mm. Trawled

Umbilia capricornica, 54mm GEM, the second smallest capricornica I have ever seen. Another one was over 52mm (with chip) and now in my friends collection. Also I remember 50mm shell from Felix some time ago

XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 10.04.2013, 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

felix wrote:
..There will be an extensive article and descriptions of them, by Lorenz & Beals, in the upcoming issue of the Conchylia magazine. Marty, Randy and me worked nearly one year on the completion of this article. ..

http://www.club-conchylia.de/ccinfo/index.html

Felix, any news about this magazine? when we can buy a new one with the article about armeniacas?

regards,
Sergey
XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 19.04.2013, 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umbilia capricornica, albino form? 69.3mm, Swains reef, Queensland, 80m deep

XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 02.07.2013, 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Felix, I just recieved Conchylia journal with armeniacas description.
I have a question about armeniaca andreyi. According to the description all armeniacas from western part must be a.andreyi? I looked on my shell from this area

it looks not very similar to those shells in the magazine. Does it mean that my shell has a wrong location data?
Regards,
Sergey
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 04.07.2013, 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, sorry, that shell is certainly not from Busselton...
XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 04.07.2013, 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Strange, I saw several similar shells from this location and with white bases. I do not think that sellers wanted to make money because prices were like for common armeniacas.
I read the article. Thank you and your colleagues for this great work. I have a question about the area between a. andreyi and a. clarksoni - are there any armeniacas in this large area? No intermediate forms?
Sergey
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 05.07.2013, 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no information on armeniaca from that area. It seems they are in deep water around the Cape Leeuwin towards someplace west of Walpole, and then suddenly appear in the shallow water around Esperance. Interestingly, there have been quite a few findings of clarksoni long before the actual population was discovered. Most of those shells were in very poor condition, one even washed up on a beach. I heared about these shells only recently while in Esperance.

BTW nice shells of the Portland population. Your specimens show well that there is not very much that would make them consistently different from regular hesitata, which is damn variable as wel all know.
XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 05.07.2013, 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Felix
Hope once I will find real a.andreyi for my collection.

Hesitatas from Portland are really nice and differ from Victorian shells. Interesting how far hesitata population goes to the west...
Pity, now trawlers are again not in the right place and no new hesitata from this area.
XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 12.07.2013, 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix, here are two more shells from western part of species distribution. I asked Max permission to use his photos
These shells also does not look like andreyi and have white bases. Also a wrong location data?

XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 09.08.2013, 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
here is one more photo of western armeniaca, also 70-73mm
and also not ar. andreyi. was sold by my friend and has the same pattern as shells above. all these shells were from different dealers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> My Stars All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: