www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions concerning Monetaria moneta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowry-Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benicypraea

PostPosted: 20.02.2009, 22:33    Post subject: Some questions concerning Monetaria moneta Reply with quote

Hello dear all:

I have some questions for the moneta´s experts or anyone who knows many more things that I about this pretty and rather variable (in shape and size, at least) cowry:

1.- Some people told me that is possible to find Erosaria moneta in Galapagos Islands. Is it certain this? Its only for curiosity. I know perfectly that collecting there is restricted or prohibited in all the most fertile areas.
2.- Also I would like to know if the hawaiian population of moneta was fully devastated there by the pollution of water and the over-collecting there. Many collectors says that is actually a rare species in almost all the islands.
3.- Where is possible to see moneta in Red Sea? I have never seen one specimen collected in Egypt or Sudan, for instance...
4.- Where is possible to get subfossil moneta, apart the ones coming from Sri Lanka and Maldivas, very often seen here and there?
Thanks in advance to everyone interested in these questions!
Regards,
Beni Cool
Don A

PostPosted: 24.12.2018, 08:16    Post subject: Re: Some questions concerning Monetaria moneta Reply with quote

benicypraea wrote:
Hello dear all:

I have some questions for the moneta´s experts or anyone who knows many more things that I about this pretty and rather variable (in shape and size, at least) cowry:

1.- Some people told me that is possible to find Erosaria moneta in Galapagos Islands. Is it certain this? Its only for curiosity. I know perfectly that collecting there is restricted or prohibited in all the most fertile areas.
2.- Also I would like to know if the hawaiian population of moneta was fully devastated there by the pollution of water and the over-collecting there. Many collectors says that is actually a rare species in almost all the islands.
3.- Where is possible to see moneta in Red Sea? I have never seen one specimen collected in Egypt or Sudan, for instance...
4.- Where is possible to get subfossil moneta, apart the ones coming from Sri Lanka and Maldivas, very often seen here and there?
Regards,
Beni Cool
Don A

PostPosted: 24.12.2018, 08:32    Post subject: Re: Some questions concerning Monetaria moneta.Cyprea moneta Reply with quote

Don A wrote:
benicypraea wrote:
Hello dear all:

Cypraea moneta are still regularly collected in shallow water here in Hawaii. They were never and are not now as numerous as they are in other locations. It is only rare in comparison with other locations but should not be called a "rare species" here in Hawaii. I find the Hawaiian moneta quite attractive and some are quite broad.

Don A.

Regards,
Beni Cool
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 18.01.2019, 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are rare and sporadic in Galapagos. Apparently, larvae reach this place quite regularily. You can get subfossil moneta in Tanzania, Seychelles and Tuamotu, mainly Niau (not to confuse with Niue). Moneta is rare but present in Egypt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowry-Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: