www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My favourite Venusta, Friendii and Others

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benicypraea

PostPosted: 30.01.2010, 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ozcyp:

I also read this article, in another site devoted to shell collectors. I agree, if you have a lot of "young" hands helping to you here and there, with a bit of luck, you´ll finally obtain a good number of nice shells...even in an overcollected place ( really I don´t know if this the real case of the area where those melanistic and rostrated cowries were found in Keppel Bay)
Yes, Mr. Cedric Coucom was the husband of the current owner of that local museum at Yeppoon...A very interesting place, I think.
By the way, nice specimens of the real hungerfordi coucomi. Lachen
Regards,
Beni Cool
melanisticman

PostPosted: 29.03.2010, 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, i thought i would join this site to bring a few facts to the myths. I am the person as read about with the kids helping me find shells however that was just one trip. since then i have found no less than 8 black and partly black cyp arabicas as well as melanistic and rostrate errones, felina, macula, erosa, annulus, staphylea, and even a freak vitellus. a month ago i found 2 black felinas on keppel island. Next week i will be spending 6 days on keppel so i will be happy to let you all know what i find.
benicypraea

PostPosted: 29.03.2010, 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Melanisticman.
Thanks for your collaboration and remark. It´s sound very interesting. I hope you can share with everybody some nice pics of those beautiful melanistic cowries from Keppel Bay and other interesting places from Queensland...
Curiously, in the last months I have seen some pics of recent specimens of m&r cowries from such area. Perhaps more new specimens will be found in the coming months... Auf den Arm nehmen
Regards,
Beni Cool
ozcyp

PostPosted: 30.03.2010, 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melanisticman,

That's great news about your finds at Keppel Bay. I'm originally from Mackay, QLD, but am now based here in Nashville, USA. I sure miss collecting cowries, so you'll have to find some for me instead...only kidding. All the best for your next trip and hope you find some melanistic beauties. Post some pics if you have a chance so we can all see them.

Regards,
Iain
bourny

PostPosted: 15.12.2012, 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive photos, Busso blues are one of my favourites also as well as the Vercoi's. I never seem to have enough of them!
ozcyp

PostPosted: 17.01.2013, 02:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an updated photo of some mauritiana.

dan81

PostPosted: 17.01.2013, 08:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ozcyp.
do you still have the gold venusta in your collection?
ozcyp

PostPosted: 17.01.2013, 09:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately I sold that shell, which I still regret, but I'll get another someday. I got out of zoila for a while, but have the passion for them again. I guess I should delete some of the shells I don't own anymore on here, I haven't been on the forum for quite some time now.
syncerus18

PostPosted: 28.08.2013, 01:43    Post subject: Re: My favourite Venusta, Friendii and Others Reply with quote

ozcyp wrote:
Venusta and friendii are two of my favourite zoila, I thought I'd share a couple from the collection.The 2 venusta are south coast specimens purchased through a dealer.

The friendii all come from Forrest Beach. Their one of my all time favourites, aptly named, 'Busselton Blues'.

76mm Pink venusta

76mm south coast venusta

Above, South coast golden venusta

(!!!) Drools. The 2nd friendii, top... Sooo blue. These types never seem to circulate in the market. Poor us internet-dependents!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> My Stars All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: