www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regulations for cowry collecting in South Africa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowry-Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benicypraea

PostPosted: 30.04.2009, 00:03    Post subject: Regulations for cowry collecting in South Africa Reply with quote

Hello all "cowrylovers"

I have a question to everyone interested, expert or amateur, concerning the regulations in shelling in South Africa, focused on cowries. A friend of mine told me that the collecting there is absolutly forbidden, even in shallow water, but I don´t have many idea. Does anyone give me more information about this? I will not be in SA, but I feel interest to know something because there are some information concerning regulations in Australia, thanks to some of the australian collectors and friends in the forum, but really not many about the matter in SA, except for some remarks by Lorenz if I am not wrong (However, perhaps I can have bad memory and there are aditional info there and here!
In this wonderful area (I refer to South Africa, from Northwestern coast of Cape Province to Norhtern Natal) we can get some of the most beautiful cowries in the world, like fultoni fultoni, broderipii, castanea, cruikshanki, iut-sui, besides spectacular sinistral specimens from time to time (mostly beached) etc. I think that is really important to know the real situation of the collecting there for the future.
Opinions, thinkings, etc, are greatly apreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Beni Cool
Emilio

PostPosted: 30.04.2009, 02:03    Post subject: regulations Reply with quote

Hi Benicyp,

Dont worry, get shells from dealers, let them worry about the regulations,
unless you are going there yourself to collect, then you can worry about the regulations. When government regulates ANYTHING the price goes
up!!!

In the USA the new goverment regulations by the new administartion [Obama] are going to put prices Sky High!!! Please pray for us. I am thinking of moving to Asturias. The PSOE is on its way out from what I
hear. Maybe things will be a bit better there than here.

The CAP and TRADE will raise the price for electricity and many other
things, the 4 Trillion economic stimulus will bankrupt the country
etc. etc. etc.

Sorry for the Ranting but I am having a bad day!

Just to keep the subject on Cowries I am going to put on the forum a
collage of selected Cowries from my collection and a few non-cowrie STARS. Give me a few days as I have been very busy at work.

Emilio
benicypraea

PostPosted: 30.04.2009, 09:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Emilio:

Thanks for reply!. I´ll pray for you if you wish, because perhaps some day we´ll pay for breathe!. I´m thinking we must to breathe nitrogen, more abundant in the atmosphere that oxygen, cheaper, no smell, without color... Lachen However, if you move to Asturias, let me know. I will try to visit you. Never I have been there, and all the people told me that is a fantastic region. There we can see the last wild bears of Spain, besides wolves. Geschockt Auf den Arm nehmen
Concerning to shelling regulations, my friend told me also that abalone fishermen there are not allowed to get anything else to abalones, like in Australia, for instance (australian friends, perhaps I am wrong).
That´s all by now.
More opinions will be extremely apreciated.
Regards,
Beni Cool
Emilio

PostPosted: 30.04.2009, 19:15    Post subject: Regulations Reply with quote

Hi Beni,

Here in the USA the regulations are not at a national level except for US Fisheries dept. commercial fishing [for food type sealife]. There is a HUGE amount of shellcollecting regulations at State, County, City level. Some are benign such as a limited number of specimens and/or species, others are NO COLLECTING period [even dead], others are NO LIVE COLLECTING but dead OK. This applies to saltwater and freshwater. The freshwater is to protect the mussels [Unionidae]. They were overharvested for making buttons from the nacre, there are a quite large number of species. The tree snails, Liguus, are totally banned from even touching them [re-posing for fotos].
However there are waivers for destruction of the habitat, HA! Money is everything, the real estate developers get away with anything they want. I believe Sanibel Island [shellers capital in USA] was the first municipality to apply a total ban to live shell collecting, dead is OK though.

Some places do issue permits for collection within a specified limit
within certain areas. Dont know what the requirements are some may be for scientific work from an institution only.

That is it in a nutshell for the USA [as far as I know].

Hasta la proxima, buena suerte,

Emilio
benicypraea

PostPosted: 30.04.2009, 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Emilio:

Very interesting remarks concerning shell regulations there in US, specially in states like Florida, where a lot of interesting fresh water and terrestrial specimens can be found. Unionidae are also protected here in Spain. I have heard about the use of these shells to make "handcrafts" in Chine and other countries. Where I live in the south, there are some rare species of bivalves and landsnails (Iberus sps.) in very restricted water spots and carbonate lands. Unfortunately they are all endangered (bivalves) by the pollution of water, again, the main problem here plus the destruction of small patches of habitats to build and make civil structures like roads, etc.
We´re in touch,
Saludos.
Beni Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowry-Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: