www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cowries in Tristan da Cunha (South Atlantic)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowry-Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benicypraea

PostPosted: 16.02.2010, 14:17    Post subject: Cowries in Tristan da Cunha (South Atlantic)? Reply with quote

Hello all:

A question to everybody who is interested or anyone who is able to give me a satisfactory reply...
Are there any species of cowry in the area of Tristan Da Cunha (South Atlantic Ocean)?
Something like lurida oceanica, spurca sancthahelenae, etc...
Any opinion, though, remarks, etc are welcome...
Regards,
Beni Cool
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 18.02.2010, 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beni have you looked at the conditions on that Island??? But who knows. In the deep water of South Africa the temperatures are similar, but still cowries can survive there...

I recall a fun- article in the Strandloper from the seventies some time when a guy reported that while ice-fishing in the arctic there was a cowry crawling out of the ice-hole, approaching the fire, shivering and rattling with its radula. The shell was covered in thick furry periostracum. He was going to name it Cypraea minkus. That name later even made it on a checklist of cowries published in the same magazine.
benicypraea

PostPosted: 18.02.2010, 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Felix:

Of course, the conditions in that area are harder than anywhere, but I agree that who knows with safe... Myself I have used google earth to get info about the island and I have seen with interest that there are a small population (= a village?) in such island. Perhaps some people from there find rare shells after the storms in the rocky shorelines along the full island...amongst these, cowries??.
Unfortunately I think that if they are living cowries there, they live in deep water as the deep water species (Crossia, Cypraeovula) from South Africa.
By the way, interesting comment about the old article concerning an "ice-cowry" Winken
Regards,
Beni Cool
benicypraea

PostPosted: 18.02.2010, 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again.
The main village in Tristan da Cunha is called as "Edimburgh of the seven seas" if I am not wrong...
Regards,
Beni Cool
crushed tomato

PostPosted: 21.02.2010, 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i have been watching this tread to see who has some cypraea from this location.
i have a cyp. acicularis sancthahelenae from nightingale island, collected from mid 70's, is a great shell and still very fresh.
here is the picture
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1331/sanc1.jpg

enjoy...
benicypraea

PostPosted: 21.02.2010, 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello C.T:

You´re right, the shell is very beautiful and still very fresh. If the data is correct, this is a great find, at least for me!
Congratulations,
Regards,
Beni Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowry-Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: