www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Notocypraea from South Australia - ID?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Identification Please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 11.12.2010, 07:33    Post subject: Interesting Notocypraea from South Australia - ID? Reply with quote

G'day,

Here are a couple of pictures of an interesting Notocypraea specimen I collected whilst scuba diving in South Australia in early November.
When I collected it I was not initially sure of what species it actually was.
It is really one of the very best and special Notocypraea specimens I have ever collected.

What do you think I am?

Collected @5m under a large limestone slab on reef in low visability water ~250m from shore!

Please excuse the picture quality but they were taken in a motel room by a tired diver after a very strenuous shore dive! Geschockt

I will reveal the id (if noone gets it) and locality in a few days.

Regards,
Simon
Sleepycat

PostPosted: 14.12.2010, 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome specimen, whatever it is. One of the great joys of dealing with this genus is when you don't immediately know what they are.

Strange piperita? I know SA/WA forms sometimes have the banding reduced or nonexistent and a kind-of declivis-y looking colour pattern, hence the confusion about what occidentalis was for a while.
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 14.12.2010, 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepycat wrote:
Awesome specimen, whatever it is. One of the great joys of dealing with this genus is when you don't immediately know what they are.

Strange piperita? I know SA/WA forms sometimes have the banding reduced or nonexistent and a kind-of declivis-y looking colour pattern, hence the confusion about what occidentalis was for a while.

Hi Kevin,

I was beginning to wonder if anyone really cared about Notocypraea on here. Weinen So who is it that answers the Q... another well known Notocypraea fan!

YES you are 100% correct. It is definitely piperita.
It was collected from the Western side of the Eyre Peninsula ~100Km North West of Port Lincoln via scuba diving.
Under large limestone slab (size of a dining table)@5m depth.
Over the course of a 90min dive I collected 4 other piperita specimens (3 pretty Std & another weird one). Tough but great diving & collecting.
My wife saw the smile on my face when i got back to our accomodation!

the next day i tried another dive and after 80min turned up one large A.reevei @3m and a large N.angustata @7m (by far the furtherest West I have ever collected this species... very dark but fairly Std specimen).

I hope to return there one day but it is a long way off the beaten track! Geschockt

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
Simon
ozcyp

PostPosted: 15.12.2010, 08:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome looking shell Simon, the dorsum pattern is really something else. Such an incredibly diverse group of forms can be found in piperita. Thanks for sharing these photos, especially the live animal shots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Identification Please All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: