www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting variation in Esperance area Notocypraea piperita

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 15.12.2010, 09:31    Post subject: Interesting variation in Esperance area Notocypraea piperita Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes more Notocypraea images... hopefully these ones won't make you yawn! Geschockt

Five specimens of Notocypraea piperita collected from the Esperance area (~70Km range). Four of these shells are quite blue especially the bottom three freshly collected shells from late October 2010.
Note: Two of these specimens were collected fresh dead (the two bottom small shells. Large shell was live collected).

Amazing to me purple red bases. The colours of the shells are more intense than the images show.

Certainly an amazing species. A further elongated specimen not pictured (translucent pinkish red colour) was collected in deeper water @18m on one of the offshore islands is poles apart from the large heavy blue specimen.

BTW I cannot take credit for these photo's. A friend with some photographic talent (unlike me) took these. Cool

Enjoy.

Regards,
Simon
Sleepycat

PostPosted: 16.12.2010, 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone showed me bottom left with no data, no collector information, nothing about where in the world it came from, I reckon I'd have a great deal of trouble working out what it was.
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 18.12.2010, 05:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin - certainly they were something very different to me as well.

The bottom three were certainly interesting specimens for me to find.
I've not really seen anything quite like them.

I saw the first specimen (fresh dead) lying base up on sand under a large rock. What immediately caught my eye was the vivid base colour. Wasn't sure what it was until I turned it over and was surprised to see the bluish dorsum.
I would be interested to know if any other collectors out there have any similar specimens. I am intrigued as to why certain populations in this area have this bluish colour. Interesting note: a specimen of Conus anemone collected on this dive also had a distinct bluish colour. The one Notocypraea comptonii collected though was stadndard colour & form for SW WA.
PVDB

PostPosted: 20.12.2010, 18:38    Post subject: notocypraea pictures Reply with quote

4 look alikes (piperita) somewhere in the pictures - sold as variation on comptoni - they come from crayfish pots at 30m deep near esperance - reliable data from 2007 - they were at first with more bluish dorsum and red base - colour faded partially as usual.

Have a nice Xmas and a prosperous next year2011.
PVDB and Nancy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
PVDB

PostPosted: 20.12.2010, 19:01    Post subject: and a few more pics Reply with quote

I wish You a merry Xmas and a (small) basket full of notocypraea.
The 2011 reevei are for the new year.

PVDB

PostPosted: 20.12.2010, 19:36    Post subject: 2011 formal wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy NewYear Reply with quote

2011 formal wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Nancy & Philippe.
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 21.12.2010, 00:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Philippe,

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
YES I was thinking that it is likely the blue ones will fade (like my lovely vivid purple based N. comptonii from Westernport Bay do)... how sad!

I could store them in the refrigerator but that sort of defeats the purpose.
BTW from my experience N. comptonii is far more common in the Esperance area than N. piperita.

SEASON'S GREETINGS TO ALL MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM.

Regards,
Simon & Caroline (my long suffering wife who likes haliotis & fossil sharks teeth more than Cypraea Geschockt )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> My Stars All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: