www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identification please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Identification Please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickbell197

PostPosted: 20.09.2011, 21:43    Post subject: Identification please Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm still relatively new to collecting Cowries and therefore likely to make mistakes. I bought the following Cypraea microdon from the Shell auction site and now, after receipt, they look like minoridens to me. Who's correct?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/i0000436653a.jpg/
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 21.09.2011, 09:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

minoridens
Mickbell197

PostPosted: 21.09.2011, 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Felix - I thought the shells looked too cylindrical for microdon.
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 21.09.2011, 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, and they lack the banding
ferkoo

PostPosted: 27.09.2013, 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ladies/gents!

I'm new to the forum, and recently I got a shell with a dubious ID. It's one of the cymbiums, so it might be a little off to this topic, but maybe someone can help with the ID;

Lip a bit flaring, widest part is at the anterior 1/3rd, contour is straight when looking from the side (unfiled). Columellar side has 2 strong ribs.
The tip protruding, whorls aren't visible, the lip posteriorly reaches slightly beyond the protoconch. Length 136mm, Senegal.

Tried to compare it online, but that left a bigger mess (for me) than it solved.
Label doesn't really helpful, claiming consecutively the shell is C. glans (it isn't), then C. cucumis (doubtful, I tend to C. cymbium).

Any help appreciated!
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 27.09.2013, 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

glans in my opinion - but I am quite ignorant about these ugly critters. In this case, I am like those self-proclaimed cowry experts that have no clue but an "opinion". Winken
benicypraea

PostPosted: 27.09.2013, 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ferkoo:

Welcome to this nice Forum and I hope you are very well. The shell pictured is certainly Cymbium glans from Western Africa, probably somewhere between Senegal and Gabon, in my opinion. The shell is not bad at all. The colour and the lip is ok for this very often rough and damaged species. The animal is very often bigger and heavier than the bit fragile shell. This species is one of the giants of the family and probably the biggest or one of the biggest shell of the genus.
Cymbium cucumis is much slender and the posterior "canal" is less remarkable and a bit different but the colour and the shape is generally similar. The latter can be found in sandy shores from the shallow to the deep water bottom in Morocco and Mauritania.
In European waters you can find the smaller but not less interesting Cymbium olla and Halia priamus, much rarer and fragile.
I hope this info can help you.
Best Regards,
Beni
Cool
ferkoo

PostPosted: 04.10.2013, 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, I changed the ID. I came to the conclusion that this should be a "conchologically variable" species - I have bigger ones, but those aren't similar to a length/girth ratio, no.of ribs, recessed protoconch etc.
(Or I got some serious misidentifications, but I would like to rule that out as an opportunity - those indeed look like C. glans according to all available sources.)
ferkoo

PostPosted: 03.08.2014, 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some tiny non-cowries to identify (don't have trouble with cowries at the moment Smilie )
All have been dead found in a mediterranean beach (I intentionally not giving exact location /yet/, in order not to bias the opinions.) Size: the biggest one is approx. 7mm in diameter.

I have an opinion about these, but would like to get some verification/refutation.
XADHOOM

PostPosted: 16.08.2014, 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbula nivosa from Malta island Smilie
ferkoo

PostPosted: 17.08.2014, 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the verification. My original thoughts were indeed G. nivosa, and they were found washed ashore at.. the Blue lagoon, Malta. I never thought someone can find these there (at weekends there are literally thousands of tourists visiting the "lagoon", and weekdays are only a little bit less crowded). But the data is accurate an not falsified.
If someone's interested, another dead shell was found at Xemxija bay, and a crisp, large (relatively) fragment was found at St. Mary' bay, washed ashore (after 5 mins search, luck factor counts). Smilie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Identification Please All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: