www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my best find to date

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan81

PostPosted: 19.03.2012, 06:34    Post subject: my best find to date Reply with quote

i never thought i would be lucky enough to find one of these beautiful little shells.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/815/gopr0152.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/gopr0153u.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/gopr0168.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/img1427fp.jpg/
XEP-BAM

PostPosted: 19.03.2012, 07:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel!
I already told you on FB, and tell again - super beautiful friendii! my congrats!
Bart

PostPosted: 19.03.2012, 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, what an incredible colours....!
Siladen

PostPosted: 20.03.2012, 04:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Question: no animal in it? If it would have been me, I would not have minded at all anyway (I am not a live-taken addict), but I am just curious. Never been diving in Australia, but from all the pics I have seen this little golden guy seems far away from its food... Mit den Augen rollen
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 21.03.2012, 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Dan.
Very rare find! I thought they were all but extinct.
what depth? I suspect quite shallow!?

Make sure u keep it for your own collection. I wouldn't sell it for $10K if it were me!!

and Siladen... it's very much live with animal from what I could tell. Also not such an unusual location. At this location they feed mainly on flat encrusting sponge and are often out in the open. I saw two friendii friendii on my one tough shore dive in this area.

Simon
dan81

PostPosted: 21.03.2012, 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry simon, the shell is staying in my collection! Smilie like you said, they are all but extinct and i dont think i will ever come across another one again. and you were also right about it being alive. in that area, expect to find them anywhere.
RBS5

PostPosted: 23.03.2012, 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowzers Geschockt

Always love to see pictures of your finds in situ
benicypraea

PostPosted: 23.03.2012, 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all:

Looking for live pictures of Austrocypraea reevei from Australia.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Beni Cool
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 23.03.2012, 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

benicypraea wrote:
Hello all:

Looking for live pictures of Austrocypraea reevei from Australia.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Beni Cool

G'day Beni,

best chance to get insitu pictures of Austrocypraea reevei is from the west coast of WA. Along the south coast and into SA it's very cryptic and lives in very rough water. I cracked my U/W housing taking my U/W camera into this area. I have seen plenty of live specimens in the Port Lincoln area but nearly impossible to take pics insitu as they are under large granite boulders etc or in deep cracks.

Simon
benicypraea

PostPosted: 23.03.2012, 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good night here in Spain, Notocypraea.

Thank you very much for your information. I want to ask if they share the same kind of habitat (large granite boulders, etc) that some Zoila sps.
Are they common there? I suposse they live in groups.
Regards,
Beni Cool
Notocypraea

PostPosted: 24.03.2012, 08:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

benicypraea wrote:
Good night here in Spain, Notocypraea.

Thank you very much for your information. I want to ask if they share the same kind of habitat (large granite boulders, etc) that some Zoila sps.
Are they common there? I suposse they live in groups.
Regards,
Beni Cool

Hi Beni,

From my experience I would say the Austrocypraea reevei are never common. Infact I would classify them as uncommon. They are a very difficult cowrie to find live and it's hard to find specimens of good quality (very prone to numerous flaws).
At the extreme Eastern end of their range (Backstairs Passage, SA) they are rather uncommon. I have only ever found four live specimens from all my diving there (my three regular diving buddies haven't been lucky enough to find a single live specimen there between them. Weinen ).

I have only ever found them in groups >2 specimens in the Port Lincoln area. This is where I have had the most success in finding this species (under & amongst heavy granite boulders on rich reef in current & swell influenced waters).

I did a couple of long tough shore dives to 7m depth at Starvation Boat Harbour (SW Coast of WA, East of Albany and West of Esperance) in Oct 2010. On the second dive in rich reef with medium profile undercuts & crevices I was fortunate enough to collect a nice Notocypraea comptonii, a nice Austrocypraea reevei and then a reasonable Zoila friendii f.insulata in that order. The comptonii & reevei were under large rocks whilst the friendii was on encrusting sponge on a light limited reef wall @5m depth. It was a good dive for me! Geschockt

Whilst diving with the great Peter Clarkson in Oct 2010 (Esperance area) he collected a Z.venusta, Z.marginata and A.flindersi spiky form Geschockt whilst i collected an A.reevei (stunner) a N.piperita and several N.comptonii. This was in the same general area & depth but obviously different habitat. Just goes to show you collect what you know. I was very happy with my finds that day but of course that Z.venusta was so nice. Cool

So yes A.reevei can often be found in area's where Zoila are.

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> My Stars All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: