www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saulae problem: Nugata or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Identification Please
View previous topic :: View next topic  
POLAND

PostPosted: 12.04.2013, 23:25    Post subject: Saulae problem: Nugata or not? Reply with quote

Good evening everybody,

I have small problem with my one C.saulae. Look at the picture please. You can see two beautiful saulae: darker and smaller from Philippines and bigger and brighter (23,9 mm) with single bloth (ivory colour). I have this beautiful shell from my old time friend from Quennsland (Australia) ... unfortunately without any data! I have this shell in my collection since 1999. So I have a question for experts: It can be saulae nugata? I am not sure. Both shells are so different especially in colour:

I am terrible sorry ... I haven't got more pictures with margins and base of those cowries now, only with dorsum.

Thank you very much for your help.

Warmest regards from Warsaw,
Michael

Last edited by POLAND on 13.10.2013, 16:32; edited 1 time in total
Randy_Bridges
Administrator

PostPosted: 18.04.2013, 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are likely many reasons why your question has not received any replies. A key characteristic for P. saulae nugata is the lack of yellow/orange staining between the teeth. Since you did not supply a photo of the base it is a guess at most as to what your specimen might be. You may compare your specimen with my photo below of a typical saulae (left) versus a saulae nugata (right).

Cheers,
randy
POLAND

PostPosted: 18.04.2013, 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon Randy,

Thank you very much for your help. Your picture will be very helpful for me! Wonderful. I will check my saulae today evening and use your photo ... next time I will send also pictures with base of course. I must make new photos. No problem. I agree with you. This is interesting problem for me ... I have that saulae (nugata?) from old Australian collection ... several different lovely cowries without any data! I hope this is a true nugata. Anyway thank you for your attention and help.

All the best from Poland,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Identification Please All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: