www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palmadusta lutea lives in New Caledonia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowries - Volume 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanit02

PostPosted: 02.04.2018, 14:20    Post subject: Palmadusta lutea lives in New Caledonia Reply with quote

Hello,
In your superb Volume 1, you specify that lutea don't live beyond New Guinea and West Australia. But, there is a live colony of lutea in the lagoons of New Caledonia such many years.
I have in my collection, many specimen of this species, come from many place (Nouméa, Paagoumène, Le Mont Dore, and les Loyautés in the south east of the archipelago). Usually, they are collected in low tide, to 5 meters depth.

Can you confirm, or not, this situation far in Melanesia ?
Thank you
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 03.04.2018, 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure it is lutea, not humphreyii?? That would be a range extension far beyond the area that lutea is typically found. Perhaps submit a photo?? Thanks for this information
tanit02

PostPosted: 04.04.2018, 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank your for answer Félix.

Yes, sure ! I have also humphreyii, of course, from New Caledonia.

I'll try to send you some pictures. A local diver have confirmed to me that living lutea are taken in the lagoon of New Caledonia.

Sure, they are far from their eastern limit, but a have no doudt about the veracity of his opinion.
Perhaps a allogenic population due of the commercial transport by boat ?
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 08.04.2018, 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting. It would confirm the validity of humphreyii, which has been a big question for me.
For sure the NC population constitutes a remarkable range extension. Looking forward to the photos!!
tanit02

PostPosted: 08.04.2018, 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Félix, some pictures of my lutea from New Caledonia.

A friend said me that he have collected int the eighties dead lutea in low tide from Efaté island (Vanuatu, New Hebrids). Humphreyii too, of course.

felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 09.04.2018, 00:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic. Many thanks for sharing these pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowries - Volume 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: