www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scientific Drawings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowries - Volume 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collector

PostPosted: 11.08.2018, 06:54    Post subject: Scientific Drawings Reply with quote

Dear Felix, both volumes of your recently published work on cowries are absolutely amazing and I enjoy it every time when I am browsing the books. Really, well done Felix! But I must say that I was a little bit surprised, as there are not many scientific drawings, like in the guide from 2000. If I remember well, they were all made by yourself. I liked the combination between drawings and photographs. According to scientific illustrators and many biologists, drawings can be much more useful to point out the important characteristics of a species or subspecies. In my humble opinion it can be much easier to identify specimens with good drawings, in many cases. Your opinion about this topic would be interesting. But however, the books are, as I said, a great publication. So, congrats for this fantastic and important work. With best regards, Collector Sehr glücklich
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 10.09.2018, 07:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks dear friend, glad you like the books. Concerning the drawings, I was torn between using them again and making new ones, or leaving them Out. A drawing is indeed often more appropriate to characterize a taxon, as they can incorporate feature of several specimens to a generalized (ideal) picture. Yet, also drawings are just personal interpretations of reality subject to the imagination of the artist. Perhaps, the lack of the old drawings will stimulate study of the old and the new books side by side, which is also interesting because it will reflect the process and hopefully, progress, over a period of 30 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowries - Volume 1 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: