www.cowries.info
SHELL - TALK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chiapponii beatricae from Balabac island (south Palawan) ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowry-Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanit02

PostPosted: 12.02.2020, 14:34    Post subject: Chiapponii beatricae from Balabac island (south Palawan) ? Reply with quote

Hello Dr. LORENZ, in the Guide, you indicate that Chiapponii beatricae is only found in the Coron Sea. There are more and more typical specimens of beatricae proposed on the web but coming from Balabac island, in the south of Palawan (Sulu Sea). Is it a mistake ?

Thank you
felix
Administrator

PostPosted: 08.03.2020, 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with Philippine data you have to be careful. The dealers that sell shells over the net are usually the fifth or sixth person in a long chain. This is why so many shells are supposed to be from Olango Island: because all the Pagobo dealers hang out there. From the few reliable records I have, beatricae is from Coron Sea and Cuyos, and both populations differ slightly. A third population closer to nominate chiapponii turned up recently, but I do not know where they are from. The excelsior is from Balabac, but I doubt that it occurs together with any form of chiapponii. The nominate chiapponii is from Jolo are vicinity, to northern Sabah (Borneo) where I personally collected this species. The initial data I had (Borongan Samar) turned out to be incorrect as well. Oh well...
tanit02

PostPosted: 08.03.2020, 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dr LORENZ, it's clear now !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.cowries.info Forum Index -> Cowry-Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: